Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)
ODD or oppositional defiant disorders affects approximately 5% of the population. Unfortunately, experts disagree as to the causes of this condition. Some believe that the cause is genetic because it seems to run in families. While others believe that it is a learned behavior.
Children with ODD seem to have a particular problem with authority figures and this can cause problems at school and in wider society. There is evidence that children with ADHD are more likely to suffer from ODD. Also, it is thought children with ODD can have problems with making friends and maintaining friendships.
Hypnotherapy treatment for ODD Oppositional Defiant Disorder
There are a number of suggestions for treatment of ODD:
- Offer children praise and encouragement when they are cooperative.
- Refrain from arguing with children and make it clear that they will not engage in confrontational displays.
- Establish reasonable and age-appropriate behavioral expectations.
- Be consistent in following up with consequences for disobedience.
- Learn and utilise stress management techniques.